Amid the fast changing and ever progressing times we have today, we need more scientists to listen to. And the Department of Science and Technology – Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI) has been dedicating its resources to young individuals with special interest in Science, Technology, Mathematics and Engineering (STEM) related careers and are actively and profoundly familiar with the rigors of, and the need for Research and Development.
The department is offering two types of scholarship that one can apply for:
Those whose socio-economic status have not reach a high or middle value of standardized social indicators or are financially disadvantaged with annual gross income not exceeding Php. 300,999 but are academically talented and skillful in STEM subjects may apply for a scholarship grant entitled by R.A. 7687 or otherwise known as “Science and Technology Scholarship Act of 1994.” DOST-SEI MERIT on the other hand, is awarded to students with high aptitude in Science and Mathematics.
Check your Eligibility.
When qualified, DOST scholars are entitled for an array of financial assistance, however before looking into those possibilities, you might want to check first if your eligible for the grant. Scholarship Applicants must be:
- Natural- born Filipino citizens.
- High School Graduating students (Grade 12) under STEM track.
- For non-STEM, your class standing should belong to the upper 5% of the graduating class.
- of good moral character and in good health
- do not have any post-secondary units.
After the eligibility check, you will be notified of your Qualifying examination (S&T Undergraduate Scholarship Examinations) schedule. Applicants must pass the examination to receive and enjoy the fullness of the scholarship grant.
Moreover, passers should pursue Bachelor of Science degree program and priority fields such as, Medical programs, Agricultural Sciences, Engineering and Architecture Programs, Applied Mathematics, community Health, Psychology, and Science and Mathematics Teaching, at a state university or college, Commission on Higher Education (CHED) recognized private institutions as Center of Excellence or Center of Development or with at least, FAAP (Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines) Level III accreditation for the BS program that one will be enrolled in.
Note: For a complete list of priority programs, visit www.sei.dost.gov.ph.
Required Documents to be Submitted.
The following documentary requirements and application forms must be complied upon application. The following are available at https://www.science-scholarships.ph/ you can also use the same web address for your online submission.
- Personal information (Form A) – Name, Birthdate, Contact details
- Household information Questionnaire (Form B) – Family data and Socio-economic statement
- Certificate of Good Moral Character (Form C) – to be given by your Secondary school’s Guidance Office.
- Certificate of Good Health
- Principal’s Certification – Form D-1 for applicants from STEM strand; Form D-2 for non-STEM strand
- Statement of the Applicant that he/she have not taken any DOST-SEI scholarship examination.
- Certificate of Residency (For RA 7687 only) – must be a resident of 4 or more years, attested by the Barangay Chairman.
- Parent’s Certification
- Signed Declaration by applicant and the parent/ Legal guardian.
- Recent (1”x1”) picture
- Photocopy of Birth Certificate
- Parents Income tax return/ Certificate of Exemption from Filing ITR or Barangay Certificate of Indigency.
Applicants are encouraged to usehttps://www.science-scholarships.ph/ for online application. The following are the step-by-step procedure when using the Online system for your application:
- Sign up and verify your e-mail address.
- Accomplish the Online forms properly, check for errors before submitting.
- You will receive an e-mail which contains the complete list of documents to attached on your application form.
- Print the completed for on long bond paper (8.5 x 13)
- Insert the form and all attached documentary requirements in a long brown envelope.
- Fill-out the detachable label and paste in on the upper left corner of the envelope.
- Upload the required documents for an easier verification process.
- Submit your application documents to your nearest DOST-SEI Regional Office or Provincial Science and Technology Centers)
Note: If you’ve uploaded your required documents online, just bring the original copy. If otherwise, bring photocopy of all required documents and its original copy.
- For applicants of Merit Scholarship Program, you will be asked to pay Php. 200.00 Testing fee.
- When application is settled, you will be given a Test Permit and DOST Primer.
- Be on your examination site (Test center) on time.
Note: the test includes the following: Logical Reasoning, English, Science, Mathematics, Mechanical-Technical and Self- Inventory.
If by chance, you will pass the Scholarship examination and will be hailed as DOST-SEI scholar, you will receive the following privileges:
- Monthly Living allowance of Php. 7,000
- Tuition and other school fees of Php. 40,000 per Academic year
- Book allowance (Php. 10,000/year)
- P.E. uniform allowance (Php. 1,000)
- Premium Insurance
- Transportation allowance
- Graduation clothing allowance
If Summer Classes are required, the following privileges are also provided:
- Summer tuition (Php. 5,000)
- Book Allowance of Php. 500 (to submit Official receipt)
- 2- month Monthly allowance
With all those privileges and financial support that the department is offering, it is obvious that they also expects the best from their Filipino grantees. After graduation, DOST scholars shall serve the country with utmost efficiency, proficiency, and competency to aid their respective community for betterment, development, and progress.
DOST-SEI invests tax-payers money to qualified students in massive hope that the country shall meet its future leaders, initiators, innovators, developers, and teachers. Future applicants for the 2021-2022 grant must bear in mind that they are not applying for scholarship because of its immense privileges but because they can fulfill their duties of giving Filipinos the comfort of living, the technology for success and the innovation for a better Philippines through active Research and Involvement. And with the support of the DOST S&T and Merit scholarship programs; together we can all make that dream come true. Nasa AGHAM ang GINHAWA, PADAYON!
This article shall be updated when specific dates of application, deadlines, and changes on DOST-SEI application requirements and process for Academic year 2021-2022 are released.